Bruce and Elly do the Danube, Vienna and lots of vaseline!
London to Vienna to Passau, Saturday 30 June
inner-tube vending machine in Passau.
We saw a number of these en route.
Fortunately, our bikes had Schwalbe
'marathon plus' tyres, so we had no
View from hotel dining-terrace
Hotel details: IBB Hotel Passau, Bahnhofstrasse 24, 94032, Passau, Deutschland
And so the bollocks starts with buses to the terminal running late due to 'an incident at the terminal'.
boarding our 09:15 flight might begin soon...
Posting this from hotel Revita, St Agatha, Austria:
- Bus to Westbahnhof via Meiling bahnhof.
- Photos of tram from bus.
- See Happy Buddha restaurant is on Gumpendorfer strasse. I want to go there!
- In backerei Ströck at Westbahnhof, bought bread; Met a vegan server who recommended 'Loving hut' for vegans. (It turned out her recommendation was very worthwhile.) Bought rye & carrot bread rolls.
- On 14:40 Deutsche Bahn to Passau, passing through St Pölten , Linz, Wels. Relaxing quiet ride, so few announcements. Any announcements are almost too quiet to hear. Very scenic countryside with very little sign of livestock farming. Hurrah!
- Hotel right by station. Given more bumf, including vouchers for bikes and hotels.
- Bus up and out of town to bike-hire place. Wait ages for fat yanks to get their bikes adjusted to the nearest nanometre. Then a Spanish couple. Finally long-suffering but friendly hire bloke gives us bikes quickly. Then scary cycle on unfamiliar bikes on unfamiliar roads-on 'wrong' side of road down steep hill into town. Yeehah with a brown vapour trail!
- Dump bikes in hotel lock-up then go looking for food. Passau is shut so we're now sitting in hotel restaurant terrace listening to birds, looking at flowers and gently steaming...
- Oh god, Germanic salads are so good I could cum in my pants. Mixed lightly pickled carrots, gherkins and cauliflower; olives; kidney beans; oven roast courgettes and onions; potato cakes and bread rolls. And beer that slips down yet satisfies!
- Real cycling begins tomorrow!
© (except the blatantly ripped-off bits) Random Bozo 2012